Tottenham urged to sign former Arsenal star in shock £10m transfer | Football

Roberto De Zerbi
Roberto De Zerbi’s Tottenham have endured a nightmare start to the season (Photo: Getty)

Tony Cascarino has told Roberto De Zerbi that one Tottenham star is ‘not the answer’ and urged him to sign a former Arsenal player to replace him.

This comes after Tottenham kicked-off the new Premier League season in the worst possible way, with a 3-0 defeat at Brentford on Saturday.

Goals from Keane Lewis-Potter, Vitaly Janelt and Michael Kayode sealed a deserved win for the Bees against a Spurs side that have so far spent over £228million this summer.

Janelt’s goal came after Mathias Jensen’s shot from the edge of the box was parried straight to the feet of the German by goalkeeper Antonin Kinsky.

Exclusive Premier League previews

Get ahead of the start of the season with our weekly football newsletter. Sign up now for free.

Kinsky, who was infamously subbed off after just 17 minutes of Spurs’ Champions League defeat to Atletico Madrid last season, has been promoted to No.1 keeper, with Guglielmo Vicario loaned out to Juventus.

But following this latest blunder, the young Czech star has once again come under stern criticism, not least from former Chelsea striker Cascarino, who told talkSPORT:

‘Watching them yesterday was scary and the goalkeeper Kinsky for the second goal, you cannot… I’m watching goalkeepers who can’t catch the ball. Catching the ball!

Antonin Kinsky
Antonin Kinsky had another poor game for Spurs (Photo: Getty)

‘He could palm it around the post or whatever but it’s, to me, an effort that goalkeepers used to catch.’

Asked if he thought it was the right decision for De Zerbi to stick with Kinsky as his No.1 goalkeeper, Cascarino replied: ‘No, I thought they needed a new goalkeeper.

Ask Metro

Use AI to go deeper into the stories you care about – powered by Metro and trusted publications.

‘They could have got Emiliano Martinez out of Aston Villa because he looks like he could go. I’d have taken him an experienced goalkeeper, a lot more solid.

Emiliano Martinez looks set to leave Aston Villa this summer (Photo: Getty)

‘I wasn’t a fan of Vicario. It’s been a tough period for Spurs, but Kinsky doesn’t look like the answer to me.

‘We’ve all had bad games. I’ve had plenty of them in my career, but when you do certain things, a simple catch that ends up making it 2-0 for Janelt, who was on the end of that effort that he just blocks basically.

‘He’s basically set up Janelt to just knock it in the back of the net.’

Emiliano Martinez next club odds

Stays at Aston Villa – 8/13

Tottenham – 9/2

Chelsea – 6/1

Inter Miami – 13/2

Man Utd – 11/1

Odds courtesy of Betfair

Martinez, who spent eight years at Tottenham’s arch-rivals Arsenal, is looking to leave Villa Park this summer and is almost certain to do so afterUnai Emery signed highly-rated Japan keeper Zion Suzuki.

The 33-year-old has played a key part in Villa’s success this decade, including last season’s Europa League triumph, and played a huge role in Argentina’s World Cup triumph four years ago.

A transfer to Juventus was on the cards but the Italian giants opted to sign Vicario on loan instead, with Villa holding out for £10m for the shot-stopper.

Tottenham have already signed one goalkeeper this summer, bring in veteran Martin Dubravka from Burnley to support Kinsky. He could well make his debut on Wednesday night, when Spurs host Charlton in the Carabao Cup.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.



Tottenham urged to sign former Arsenal star in shock £10m transfer | Football

#Tottenham #urged #sign #Arsenal #star #shock #10m #transfer #Football

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *